Grade Level: 1-3
Subjects: Language Arts, Science, Math, Social Studies
Have each student bring an apple to school. The Crock Pot Applebutter should be started at the beginning of the day. A bread maker could be used to make homemade bread to serve with the applebutter.
1. Use digital camera to take pictures and record observations from ongoing
experiments. (See attachment 3a)
2. Using the apple students were instructed to bring, have them predict the
number of seeds in their apple.
3. With an adult volunteer, students will peel and core their apples.
4. Students will count their seeds and compare actual number of seeds with
5. Make a graph to compare each student's results.
(Example: Excel attachment 5a)
6. Make Crock Pot Applebutter:
a. Mix together in the crock pot:
1 large bag of cinnamon red hots
b. Cook on low heat all day.
c. Serve on bread.
7. While students are waiting turns to prepare apples for applebutter, they can
be working on a creative writing activity. (Example: Pretend you are a
member of a pioneer family and Johnny Appleseed has just visited.
Write a story about his visit and illustrate.)
8. Read a version of the Johnny Appleseed story.
9. Read the story of Johnny Appleseed from the Internet.
10. Make a Venn Diagram to compare the stories.
11. Complete hidden picture activity as a whole group.
12. Link to site to watch virtual progression of a budding of an apple tree.
(Scroll down to McIntosh Apple on April 7.)
13. To learn more about Johnny Appleseed enjoy virtual scavenger hunt.
Teacher should determine specific needs of students as indicated on
Individualized Education Plan.
Purchase and plant an offspring of one of Johnny Appleseed's trees.
Read The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein.
View a version of a "Johnny Appleseed" Video (Troll or Playhouse Video)
Make apple prints with tempera paint.
Make apple tree with green and brown finger paint and red thumb print apples.
Graph of apple seeds (Example: Excel attachment 5a)
Virginia Instructional Goals and Objectives:
Listening/Speaking 1.1, 1.15, 1.16, 2.5, 2.6, 2.10, 2.11, 2.14, 3.2, 3.11
Reading Comprehension 1.21, 1.39, 2.19, 2.21, 3.15, 3.19, 3.20, 3.27
Number Theory and Number Sense 1.1, 2.1
Probability and Statistics 1.23, 1.24, 1.26, 2.24, 2.25, 2.26, 3.28, 3.29, 3.31
History 1.22, 1.23, 2.20, 2.23, 2.24, 3.39
Study Skills 1.24, 1.26, 3.45, 3.46, 3.47
Nature of Science 1.1, 1.5, 2.1, 2.4, 2.6, 2.12, 3.1, 3.5, 3.7
Scientific Processes/Thinking Skills 1.17, 1.18, 1.19, 2.17, 2.18, 2.19, 2.20, 3.21
Laboratory Investigations/Hands-On Learning 1.24, 2.22, 2.24, 3.27
Science Themes and Subject Matter 1.27, 1.29, 2.25, 2.27, 3.30, 3.31, 3.32, 3.36
Computer/Technology 1.71, 2.65, 3.82
Goals: 3 & 5
The Story of Johnny Appleseed by Aliki
Johnny Appleseed by Steven Kellogg
Web Collection CD Set from ROM-MAN Technologies'
Internet site - Hidden picture activity
Internet site - Virtual progression...
Internet site - Virtual scavenger hunt
School, Parkersburg, WV
|Lesson 1||Lesson 2||Lesson 3||Lesson 4|