Grade Level: Second to Fourth
Subjects: Language Arts, Health, and Art
Students should be able to:
* compare how things were in the story versus now.
* compare their own families to the story family.
Duration of Lesson: This lesson will take about a week
* When I Was Young in the Mountains by Cynthia Rylant,
* writing paper
* art supplies
* book about Cynthia Rylant's life.
* Powerpoint presentation
* drawing program
* Get book ready to use.
* Prepare art supplies.
* Teach children how to draw using a mouse.
* Prepare writing supplies.
* Read book When I Was Young in the Mountains.
* Talk about the parts of the story that the child don't understand.
* Talk about coal mining in West Virginia.
* Use a dictionary to look up chosen vocabulary words that are unclear to the children.
* Compare and contrast now versus then in the mountains.
* Read story about Cynthia Rylant's life, Best Wishes by Cynthia Rylant. Visit "her photo scrapbook" on the computer to look at pictures of Cynthia Rylant's life.
* Discuss how this story is about Cynthia growing up in Cool Ridge in 1960, but the illustrator used an earlier time period for the pictures.
Pair students with special needs with a student that can offer assistance with written work and dictionary skills.
Language Arts: Talk to parents about when they were
growing up in the mountains. Each child will write a couple of
sentences about when they were young. They will all be put
together to make our own book about growing up in our own
Art: Use art supplies to draw, paint, or illustrate
our story page for
our book that we are writing.
Health: Bring in picture about our family and show
the class. Share
stories about our family with classmates.
Field Trip: In June, we will take a field trip to
the Exhibition Coal
Mine in Beckley to see a real coal mine.
Evaluation/Assessment: The students will be evaluated
by teacher observation. They will also be evaluated by their written work.
Their art will be displayed in our book that we publish. They will also be
evaluated on their family talk.
Language Arts: 2.19, 2.39, 2.42, 2.52, 2.56, 2.99, 3.15, 3.25, 3.44, 3.75, 4.19, 4.79, 4.84
Health: 2.20, 3.19
Art: 2.13, 3.17, 4.12
Technology: 2.118, 2.123, 3.83, 4.93, 4.95
a. When I Was Young in the Mountains by Cynthia Rylant
b. Best Wishes by Cynthia Rylant
c. Review of book
d. Several sites to use with book
H. Mack Dolan
Alderson Elementary School
An Overview Lesson 1 Lesson 2 Lesson 3 Lesson 4 Lesson 5
top of page